中文(简体)
T
7 A Million-Dollar Idea
7 一个百万美元的想法
At the end of the dinner party, I returned to the hotel with Hastings. He talked about his problems, but I didn't listen to him. I was thinking about Portia the whole time.
在晚宴结束时,我和黑斯廷斯回到了酒店。他谈论着他的问题,但我没有听他说话。我一直在想着波西亚。
When we arrived at the hotel, Hastings said, "Let me just stand here and look at this marvelous hotel. It's a palace! What expensive furniture! You have everything you want. You are rich, Henry. And I am poor."
当我们到达酒店时,黑斯廷斯说:“让我就站在这里,看看这座宏伟的酒店。它是一座宫殿!多么昂贵的家具!你拥有你想要的一切。你很富有,亨利。而我很穷。”
His words scared me. I, too, was poor. I didn't have a cent in the world, and I had debts to pay. I needed to win the gentleman's bet. This was my last hope. Hastings didn't know the truth.
他的话吓到了我。我也很穷。我在这个世界上一分钱都没有,而且我还有债务要偿还。我需要赢得那位绅士的赌注。这是我最后的希望。黑斯廷斯不知道真相。
"Henry, just a tiny part of your income can save me. I'm desperate!" Hastings cried.
“亨利,你收入的一小部分就能救我。我绝望了!”黑斯廷斯哭喊道。
"My dear Hastings, sit down here and drink this hot whiskey. Now tell me your whole story, every word of it."
“我亲爱的黑斯廷斯,坐在这里,喝这杯热威士忌。现在告诉我你的整个故事,每一个字。”
"Do you want to hear my story again?"
“你想听我再讲一遍我的故事吗?”
"But, you never told me your story."
“但是,你从来没有告诉过我你的故事。”
"Of course I told you my story, as we walked to the hotel. Don't you remember?"
“当然我告诉过你我的故事,当我们走向酒店的时候。你不记得了吗?”
"I didn't hear one word of it."
“我一个字都没听到。”
"Henry, are you ill? Is something wrong with you? What did you drink at the dinner party?"
“亨利,你生病了吗?你有什么问题吗?你在晚宴上喝了什么?”
"Oh, Hastings, I'm in love! I can only think about my sweet Portia. This is why I didn't hear your story before."
“哦,黑斯廷斯,我恋爱了!我只能想我的甜蜜的波西亚。这就是为什么我之前没有听到你的故事。”
Hastings got up from his chair, shook my hand and laughed.
黑斯廷斯从椅子上站起来,握了握我的手,笑了起来。
"I'm very happy for you, Henry, very happy," he said smiling.
“我为你感到非常高兴,亨利,非常高兴,”他笑着说。
"I'll tell you the whole story again." So he sat down and patiently started to tell me his story.
“我会再把整个故事告诉你一遍。”于是他坐下来,耐心地开始给我讲他的故事。
To make a long story short, the owners of the Gould and Curry Gold Mine sent Lloyd to England, to sell the shares of the mine for one million dollars.
简而言之,古尔德和库里金矿的老板派劳埃德去英国,以一百万美元的价格出售该矿的股份。
Any money he received over one million dollars was his to keep. Hastings's dream was to sell the shares for more than one million dollars, and become rich. He had only one month to sell the shares. He had done everything to sell them, but nobody wanted to buy them.
他收到的超过一百万美元的任何钱都归他所有。黑斯廷斯的梦想是以超过一百万美元的价格出售这些股份,变得富有。他只有一个月的时间来出售这些股份。他已经做了一切来出售它们,但没有人想买它们。
Then he jumped up and cried, "Henry, you can help me! Will you do it?"
然后他跳起来喊道:“亨利,你能帮我吗!你会做吗?”
"Tell me how."
“告诉我怎么做。”
"Give me a million dollars and I'll sell you all the shares. You will be the new owner of the gold mine. Don't, don't refuse."
“给我一百万美元,我就把所有的股份卖给你。你将成为金矿的新主人。别,别拒绝。”
I did not know what to say. I wanted to tell Hastings the truth. But then, an intelligent idea came to me.
我不知道该说什么。我想告诉黑斯廷斯真相。但就在这时,我想到了一个聪明的主意。
I thought about it for a moment and then calmly said, "I will save you, Lloyd." "Then I am already saved! How can I thank you - "
我想了一会儿,然后平静地说:“我会救你,劳埃德。”“那我已经得救了!我该怎么感谢你——”
"Let me finish, Lloyd.
“让我说完,劳埃德。
I will save you, but not in that way.
我会救你,但不是那样的。”
I have a better way.
“我有更好的办法。”
I know everything about that mine.
“我对那个金矿了如指掌。”
I know its great value.
“我知道它的巨大价值。”
You will sell the shares by using my name.
“你可以用我的名字卖掉股份。”
You can send anyone to me, since people in London know me.
“你可以派任何人来找我,因为伦敦的人都认识我。”
I will guarantee the gold mine.
“我会为金矿担保。”
In a week or two, you will sell the shares for three million dollars, by using my name.
在一两周内,你将以我的名义出售这些股份,获得三百万美元。
And we'll share the money you earn.
我们将分享你赚的钱。
Half to you and half to me."
一半给你,一半给我。"
Lloyd was very happy and excited.
劳埃德非常高兴和兴奋。
He danced around the room and laughed.
他在房间里跳舞,大笑。
"I can use your name! Your name - think of it. The rich Londoners will run to buy these shares. I'm saved! And I'll never forget you, Henry!"
"我可以用你的名字!你的名字——想想看。富有的伦敦人会跑来买这些股份。我得救了!我永远不会忘记你,亨利!"
Share this article to
完成阅读
0s
0s